Danger in the Kitchen

More cutting-edge reporting from the New York Times. (snick)

You stick your finger into an immersion blender, you get cut.  Who knew!  Still, I get it.  Back when I was a kid, our Moms warned us against removing toast from the toaster with a fork, which were known conductors of electrical current.

Now, there are so many new gadgets and geegaws to help cooks with their creations, and so much more to worry about.  A few:

-Vector-Nitro-Butane-TorchButane torches: You are brulee’ing your crème and the flame sputters and dies. Confused, you peer into the place where the flame is supposed to come out, and then press the little trigger thingie repeatedly so you can see if it reignites, and it does … you burn your face.  Danger!

-Pagrill-and-panini-pressnini Presses:  Not sure if the plates on your press will deliver the requisite grill marks to your artisanal bread and and hand-roasted pepper sandwich?  Spritz a little water on the plates and if the drops dance, it’s ready.  Do NOT stick your hand in and close the lid.  Yowza!

ronco injector-Ronco Favor Injector:  To be sure your Thai beef marinade is Thai enough, taste it, fool, don’t inject it into your vein with this hypodermic helper.   Think of the first responders; they have to not be laughing hysterically in order to save your life.  They will talk about it amongst themselves and they will LTAO.

-Commercial-Breville-JuicerJuicers: Electric or manual, press a button or turn a crank, a juicer is de rigeur for the modern cook.  If you find that all your fibrous material has been rendered juice-free and it’s creating a clog, turn the thing off BEFORE you stick your finger into the moving mechanism.  Unless, of course, you are fine with a little more protein in your shake.  LOL!

Any other Kitchen Dangers, post ‘em here.  No fair adding “my partner,” or “vegans.”